This scholarship is open to computer science students, regardless of their location of study, with a focus on technical entrepreneurship.
Applicants must develop a proof of concept (PoC) using distributed ledger technologies (blockchain). Financial services and supply chain management have become the obvious domains for applications of DLT. As an applicant, you are invited to research further and select any other industry, ecosystem, or business process in which application of DLT has not yet been well-elaborated.
Students are free to apply in teams of up to 5 people, or as a lone participant. The requirements of the scholarship are the same in both cases, but as a team can distribute work among members, teams must also submit the roles of each member. In the case of a team winning, the reward will be given to the team as a whole. From the time of this announcement, “applicant” can mean a lone participant or a team.
1. Registration for the scholarship: ends June 15, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. EDT.
2. Choose an area / problem / … and formulate a problem statement.
3. Submit your problem statement for approval between June 20 and July 20, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. EDT.
4. Work on PoC implementation and accompanying notes until Oct 15, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. EDT.
5. Wait for the announcement of the winner on Dec 15, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. EST.
2. The reasons behind your selection of a specific industry/area of research. Research the current endeavors of blockchain technology companies in the selected area of study.
3. A clearly-stated problem in the selected industry, validated by any available market research and individual interviews with industry experts.
5. Please describe the envisioned new state of the ecosystem after the adoption of blockchain technology. What is the impact on participants, and how will the social contract change?
6. Show how the discovered human or organizational incentives will be implemented in the consensus/communication protocol and rules of interaction, based upon at least 3 granular use cases.
The PoC itself can be implemented with any programming language(s), libraries, and tool(s), so long as they are non-proprietary and freely accessible by the board and the general public.
By participating in this Scholarship Program, you agree that your work may be published on Applicature’s website, and that the codebase of your solution will be submitted on GitHub under GPLv3 licensure. The IP rights for the solution belong to Applicature.
Grand Prize: $5,000 – issued to the applicant who has received the most votes from the Applicature’s Scholarship Board.
1. Registration for the scholarship: ends June 15, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. EDT
2. Timeline for approving the chosen problem and solution with the Scholarship Board: June 20 through July 20, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. EDT
3. Deadline for submission of work: Oct 15, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. EDT
4. Announcement of the winner: Dec 15, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. EST
Applicature works on projects in the blockchain industry involving the development of smart contacts, research, and the deployment and customization of blockchain solutions; as a technical advisory to blockchain companies; and as a technical consultancy on token sales / initial coin offerings.
We are no-borders agency, and help clients all around the world and around the clock.